Senior Software Engineer - Data Systems
Voltus’ mission is to fulfill the promise of the energy transition by becoming the software platform for Distributed Energy Resources (DERs). Named one of Forbes’ top 50 best startup employers in 2023, we operate Virtual Power Plants that help the grid match supply and demand by coordinating energy usage with generation capacity.
Voltus is a fully remote and virtual company distributed across the US, Canada, and abroad with many team members in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington, DC and other cities. This role can be based in the US, Canada or remote locations. Candidate working hours should overlap with Eastern Standard Time.
We are looking for creative and motivated software engineers to help build, maintain, architect, and envision the future of our rapidly scaling Real-Time Data Pipelines product vertical.
Are you interested in building the technical foundation of the worldwide transition to clean energy? Join our product-focused and mission-driven team!
Required Candidate Qualifications
- You are hungry to ramp up your expertise in the complex world of energy markets. No prior energy experience is necessary.
- You are excited to build software to model the complex logic of Virtual Power Plants and energy futures delivery.
- You think of yourself as a full-stack, backend, or data engineer.
- You have a solid fluency with modern programming languages, such as Python, Go, Ruby, or Rust.
- You have 4 or more years of software development experience, including 1 year in a senior or technical lead role.
- You have a deep understanding of SQL or cloud database query designs, and how to make them perform well.
- You have experience in scaling data-intensive pipelines and distributed systems. You can move code from scripts to reliable, observable services.
- You have wide knowledge of data engineering patterns and algorithms, including their tradeoffs.
- You ask the right questions to decide when to build fast and when to build for scale.
- You desire to be culturally additive in a virtual environment.
- You feel excited about working with Engineers of all skill levels.
- You have experience mentoring junior engineers or interns.
- You are excited about working with stakeholders outside engineering (in product, energy markets, and operations roles) to build the complex business logic that Voltus needs to scale.
- You seek ways of improving codebases for the benefit of engineers and the business.
Ideal candidates would also bring... (Preferred, not required)
- No candidate is expected to have all of the below, but ideal candidates have at least some of the following:
- You have 6 years of software development experience, including 2 years in a technical lead role.
- You have experience making complex technical product development tradeoffs, as reflected in previous titles like Senior Engineer, Staff Engineer, or Tech Lead.
- You have expertise with Python, Go, and SQL.
- You have expertise with Clickhouse, or other columnar databases.
- You have expertise in Kafka, event-driven data architectures, pub sub architectures.
- You have experience with high volume data pipeline engineering in finance, climate, remote sensing, or other domains with time series data.
- You have domain expertise in real-time energy markets, utilities, or electrical grid operations.
- You are excited about working in a fast growing company that is scaling all business processes, and has code in varying states of maturity.
- You have experience designing data abstractions and APIs that serve the needs of the business.
- You approach your work and collaboration with coworkers with curiosity and open-mindedness.
We are a distributed, friendly team. If you are excited to use your skills to make the green energy economy stronger and better, we invite you to apply!
At Voltus, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer because we recognize that a diverse organization begins with a diverse candidate pool. This means we do not tolerate discrimination of any kind and are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of your gender identity, race, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or marital status.